Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Being An Example In Our Writings

Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

 

 

1 Timothy 4:12

 

 

I don't like to place too much weight on the importance of blogging… because it is, after all, nothing more than disconnected community. And yet what we type out and post on our blogs, or what we say in response to others' blogs, are part of our eternal imprint left on this earth.

 

So in that sense, it is as important as any other life activity.

 

In the Christian blogosphere, I think it can be easy to forget that not only Christians are reading. Our audience, for instance, is composed largely of people who are in agreement with a lot of what we say—that's just the way it works.

 

So at times I think we can all forget that we are in a very public sphere, and that we can honor or shame the name of God with what we write.

 

As a disclaimer, I'm not writing this in response to any comments that have been made on my blog, or any discussion I've been involved with anywhere else. This is just a result of observing the various ways interaction and disagreement are handled around the Christian blogosphere. And my own difficulty keeping the balance between truth and purity as I moderate my writings and handle disagreement.

 

So this is a reminder for me as much as anyone else who might read.

 

The point is that there is more at stake with what we write than whether our fellow Christians agree. There are many eyes reading, and we want to point others to God, and to be transparent in our sanctification so that He can shine through.

 

The world is reading.

No comments: