Friday, October 12, 2007

Glorifying God In Life And Death

Laying on the hospital bed with her numerous family members crowded outside the door, the older woman's heart relaxed and began to beat slower and slower. Her body was preparing for its eternal rest from a long life of labor. Half dozing she felt the doctor and nurse on duty quietly leave the room. Outside of the room the doctor spoke to those assembled waiting for the news—any news good or bad.

 

Even though the woman lay almost lifeless, she was aware of the conversation outside of her room, as the doctor tried to explain her condition. "Her heart is slowing down... it will be painless. She will just go to sleep."

 

No!

 

Heaven was a joyful thought, and she longed to see her Savior, but now wasn't the time!

 

Using every ounce of strength left in her body she lifted herself up into the sitting position.

 

"No, I am not going to die. I am not done! I still have too much praying to do!"

 

Like this woman, Paul was in between two positions when he wrote the following:

 

For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again (Philippians 1:19-26).

 

Every believer desires heaven and longs to be with God and serve Him unhindered. We have all sometimes wondered why He doesn't just take us straight to heaven when we become believers in Him.

 

Why are we here?

 

The answer is simple.

 

We are here to bring glory to God. Paul understood that our lives and deaths are to glorify Christ. Despite a personal desire to depart this life and be with his Heavenly Father now, Paul had the great expectation of continuing boldly for Christ here on earth first and going to be with God when his work was complete.

 

As Paul said, "to abide in the flesh is more needful for you." We are here on earth to accomplish the work that God has called us to fulfill and complete. Death has no power over the believer and we are confident that the work God has started in us will be completed in the time frame that He has for each of our lives—whether in life or death we will bring God glory.

 

As God would have it, there was still much life to live for this woman who lay near death on the hospital bed. With the help of a pacemaker she had many years left to pray and be a blessing to those around her.

No comments: