Friday, August 17, 2007

Watered-Down Fellowship

I must say that I had not always attended church regularly in the past.

However, recently I have been, but I find that at the end of the service I try not to make eye contact with anyone, and bolt for daylight as soon as the doors open.

Over the years I've had some great experiences as a member of several churches, but overall, I’m really turned off by church. I have been attending every week because I believe God wants me to.

But after 26 years of dealing with various churches, I've had enough bad experiences that I'm having trouble making myself take the plunge and really get involved again.

I believe the church is not the church anymore and that it doesn't challenge us as believers to be what God meant us to be.

I've been apart of different groups within the church over the years. I often find myself surrounded by unenthused and lifeless men and women. The group priorities seem to be making sure everyone is liked and that everyone feels good. There's no talk about spiritual growth, miracles, or the move of God. These groups often feel like watered-down fellowships that differ from secular gatherings only by the lack of drinking and swearing.

As far as challenge, I believe the church is supposed to be an army for Christ, not just a warehouse for Christians. The New Testament often talks about training and discipline. Instead of being a body that's determined to be the best and accomplish a mission, the church is a "nice," comfortable place for Christians to hang out and be accepted no matter what they do or don't do.

Men and women who do show promise and vision are quickly overwhelmed by busyness, programs, and the sheer number of people who want everything while giving little in return.

Working as a nutrition consultant and personal trainer, I deal with non-believers all the time. I find they respect me for believing in something and standing up for it even if they don't agree with me. I'm often embarrassed when they see the "cheap grace" that waters down the church so much these days.

Now that I am back in the church. When I look back over the next few months, I'd like to see some accomplishment both corporately and personally. Instead, I think that I will find that most people are content to just survive another week.

It says in Proverbs, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I'd like to see this happening in the church so that men and women are being sharpened—fit and ready to fulfill their purpose for the Kingdom, now wouldn’t you?

No comments: