Friday, March 21, 2008

Keep On Keeping On

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You.

 

Psalm 143:8



Of all the biblical characters, David gives us a glimpse of a man who walked with God with great passion in success and in defeat. But in many of the Psalms, David often lamented about the difficult places where God had placed him. He talked of his enemies, the need for God to deliver him, and of the lovingkindness He had for him.

 

How do you suppose David came to this understanding considering the different twist and turns that took place in his life—some that he brought on himself and some that God allowed? For instants, His years of turmoil within his family gave him many reasons to lose all hope in a loving God.

David often began his Psalms in a place of discouragement and loss of hope, but he never ended one Psalm in defeat. He always came to a place of success in God by the end of the Psalm. And in the end David always placed his life in God's hands, knowing He would care for him.

"Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You. Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; in You I take shelter. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness"
(Psalm 143:8-10).

Like David we will experience times and seasons of discouragement that brings us to the lowest of lows. However, we must not lose heart, but only continue resting and trusting in a God who always shows us His lovingkindness that He has for us. And as we follow Him by the leading of the Spirit which dwells in us we will come to know the land of uprightness.

No comments: